[afnog] FreeBSD for Xeon Intel64

Phil Regnauld regnauld at x0.dk
Wed Aug 1 08:40:01 UTC 2007

Mark Tinka (mtinka) writes:
> Hi folks.
>
> Planning to setup FreeBSD-6.2 on a box based on the Xeon
> Intel64 processor.

	EM64T aka AMD64.

> FreeBSD has support for IA-64 (Itanium Architecture 64-bit)
> and AMD-64. A Wikipedia of "x86-64" suggests AMD-64 is the
> way to go (x86-64 and IA-64 are not the same).

	Correct.  IA-64 is Itanic aka "the processor that neither Intel nor HP
	will admit is dead".

> Hitherto, my experience with x86-based 64-bit servers has been
> on AMD-64 Opteron boxes.

	Same thing.  Works fine.  The new Intel processors with the faster
	memory bandwitdth will give you very good performance (often better
	than Opteron equivalents), but if you have more than 4 cores, expect
	AMD to outperform Intel by 30-40% (due to the better memory arch).

	Phil