[afnog] Ubuntu-Server

jaco engelbrecht bje at serendipity.org.za
Sun Sep 3 13:36:47 SAST 2006

Hi Alex,

Alex Gondwe wrote:
> I would like to find out if Ubunthu is at a stage where it cab be used
> for a server  on a production network.
I've just rolled out a new mail platform that's running Ubuntu Dapper
(6.06) server install as base OS.  We intend to migrate a few million
mailboxes onto this platform in the next few months.

Some of the reasons for going with Ubuntu:

- Good package management help keeps machines up to date
- Regular 6 monthly release cycle
- Commercial support available if required.

We've also already migrated our primary and slave MySQL databases onto
Ubuntu Breezy, and will shortly be moving our entire web hosting
platform onto Ubuntu Dapper as well.

Jaco