[afnog] Ubuntu-Server

Hervey Allen hervey at nsrc.org
Fri Sep 1 21:35:30 SAST 2006

Alex Gondwe wrote:
> I have a project to install Linux Boxes to run OpenMRS and MySQL. There
> are suggestions to use Ubuntu  Linux for this.
> I would like to find out if Ubunthu is at a stage where it cab be used
> for a server  on a production network.

Hi Alex -
	I've used Ubuntu 5 and am now using 6.06. Any problems I've run in
to have been related to using the graphical interface. Ubuntu offers
a Server Install CD that does not install a graphical interface. I
would recommend this for installing a system that you plan on using
as a server.
	Essentially you would be running a Debian derivative with the
Ubuntu project behind the distribution. To generalize, the Debian
project is more conservative than say Fedora when it comes to
distributing latest versions of software, Linux kernel, etc... with
the idea being that this software is well tested and there is
confidence in its stability.
	Ubuntu is certainly in use in production networks. Anyone on the
list have any negatives to using Ubuntu vs. some other Linux flavor
in production? - I don't.

- Hervey