[afnog] Online ICT Bill Discussions Report

Hervey Allen hervey at nsrc.org
Tue Oct 17 17:35:23 UTC 2006

Randy Bush wrote:
>> just in case you are interested in what transpired during
>> the above eWorkshop...
>
> next time, please put your content on a web site and post the url.
> 16,000 line messages on a mailing list where there are some folk
> who are bandwidth challenged is not very kind.
>
> fellow afnog list admins, is it time to install a hard limit on
> message size?

[Trimmed CC as I don't have control over the other lists]

The afnog at afnog.org list currently has no limit for attachments.
Picking the limit is always a fun exercise ;-)

What should it be?

Here are some data points:

Postings 2006
-------------
* Approximately 1070 emails
* 6 posts > 140KB in size. Specifically:
	- 141KB
	- 423KB
	- 953KB
	- 2@ 1087KB
	- 1235KB
* Vast majority (900+) are 10KB, or less.
* Next largest post is 51KB in size

Does 200KB seem reasonable?

- Hervey