[afnog] Separate Internet Traffic for different Vlan

Jaco Engelbrecht bje at serendipity.org.za
Sun Oct 1 13:00:39 UTC 2006

Hi Alain,

Alain ILUNGA wrote:
> Is it possible to connect Vlan1 and Vlan2 to Internet using different
> serial port on the router? (1 serial port for Vlan1 and the second
> serial for Vlan2)

Yes you can.

You've not specified the model of the c1700 router you are using, but if
you are using a c1721 you can do the following:

  - Create a trunk between the router and the switch
  - Create sub interfaces on the router
  - Setup PBR and match on the input interface (e.g. fa0/0.2)
  - Set the next hop for outbound traffic to serial n

If you're using a c1720, you'll have to do PBR based on source IP
addresses, since the c1720's does not support vlans.

The other solution as Brian pointed out in his e-mail is to make use of
VRFs, but from what I can see VRF-lite is not supported on the c1700 series.

Jaco