[afnog] SASL authentication with passwd file

Antonio Godinho antonio at uem.mz
Fri Nov 17 15:50:15 UTC 2006

Hi All,

I am running a mail server based on postfix/FreeBSD6.1. I am also running
openwebmail with virtual domains. The domain password files are separate
from the system, they are kept in a dir as /etc/virtual/domain/passwd.

Everything is working normally, now I have installed SASL to run with
postfix and I have configured it to authenticate with saslauthd. It works
for the users that are in the system file but will not work for the users in
the virtual domain's passwd file. I have installed the following from
ports /usr/ports/security/pam_pwdfile-0.95_1 which should allow me to make
SASL authentication through PAM module by pointing to this. So, I am running
saslauthd -a pam and I have created the file smtp under /etc/pam.d with the
following line inside:

 auth    required        /usr/local/lib/pam_pwdfile.so \
pwdfile /etc/virtual/domain/passwd

I get in the logfile for mail authentication failure if I try to use one of
the users in the virtual domain file. I still don't think it is looking in
the right place but I don't know how I can check this.

Anyone here know this module? or something how the PAM works so that I can
troubleshoot the connection between saslauthd and PAM?

Antonio Godinho
B.Sc.
CIUEM
Maputo