[afnog] ipfw question

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Thu Nov 9 14:56:50 UTC 2006

On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 05:19:03PM +0300, Noah K Sematimba wrote:
> On Thursday 09 November 2006 16:46, Tumi Mogale wrote:
> > afnog at afnog.org list admin, please change the list
> > setting to reply to the list. (now, reply-to is the
> > postor, not the list)
> >
> > everyone agrees?
> No.
>
> I don't agree. It is all too common to want to write to someone and thus you
> sending mail not meant for the mailing list to it by mistake.

Please, not this old chestnut again.

vs
  http://www.metasystema.net/essays/reply-to.mhtml

In one case, someone can end up sending a reply to the list which was meant
as a private message for the originator only.

In the other case, someone can turn a reply which should have gone onto the
list into a private reply, thus causing annoyance to the recipient, who has
to do work to pull the conversation back onto the list.
http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/questions.html

I know which happens more often to me and therefore causes more annoyance to
me, but everyone has their own opinion on this. You are unlikely to reach a
consensus.