[afnog] sendmail problem

Alex Gondwe agondwe at malswitch.com
Wed Nov 8 08:26:52 UTC 2006

To put it in more clear terms:

I have two DNS servers for the Local area network.
When Internet connection is interrupted, the DNS servers are still able
to do resolution for the local domain.
As expected, resolution for all external domains fails.

At this point the mail server is able to accept mail for the local
domain from the Local area network.
If I try to send mail to an address that does not belong to our local
domain, the server fails to receive the mail.

I had a similar scenario with a dial-on-demand machine  running
sendmail. Whenever a client machine tried to send mail to the server,
the server would not receive mail before first connecting to the ISP. To
work around the problem I opted to use postfix instead of sendmail.

In the current situation it appears that I will have to live with sendmail.