[afnog] is my sendmail an open-relay?

David G. Chima dchima at malswitch.com
Wed Nov 8 06:41:29 UTC 2006

Walu
You also need to upgrade your sendmail version. The version you are
running now has so many vulnerabilities. I upgraded from this version 1
or 2 years ago to version 8.13.3. That time I had a lot of spam and the
server was acting like a real open relay server. When I upgraded to the
new version my problems went away.

If you decide to upgrade take note of /etc/smrsh/* the directory has
changed to something like /usr/libexec/adm. You have to create the
directory adm manually. I painfully went through discovering this
because I was running majordomo of course because I was lazy going
through the 10 READMEs in the package. Be patient and read the READMEs
in the package and you will be joyfull

Regards

David

John Walubengo wrote:
> folks,
>
> how do i ensure my mail server is not acting as an open
> relay? Am runing sendmail 8.12.x on RH9. I wish to have
> sendmail recieving ONLY mail destined to my domain and
> sending out ONLY mail originating from my private network.
>
> which files do I need to tweak/review?
>
> walu.

Malswitch
Old Reserve Bank Building