[afnog] DNS and BIND9

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Tue May 30 10:34:07 EAT 2006

On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 07:53:16AM +0200, Wonder Chikohomero wrote:
>    if I /etc/init.d/bind9 reload (it gives me an error connection
>    refused)
>
>    if I /etc/init.d?bind9 stop (it gives me and errnamedrndc: connect
>    failed: connection refused)

What about /etc/init.d/bind9 start ?

You can't do 'reload' unless the daemon is already running, because it uses
rndc to send a message to the daemon telling it to re-read its configs.
Judging by the error you see, you can't do 'stop' unless the daemon is
running either.

If 'start' doesn't work, then perhaps your named.conf is broken. Try looking
in syslog (e.g. /var/log/messages) to see if any errors are logged there.

>    at one time I could reload and restart with out failure, but when I
>    try nslookup only get this prompt >>

That's correct. nslookup without any arguments goes into a prompt waiting
for queries. If you don't want this, then give arguments on the command
line: e.g.

    nslookup -q=a psg.com 127.0.0.1