[afnog] VLANs on Cisco Catalyst 2950

Mark Tinka mtinka at africaonline.co.zw
Fri May 26 12:59:39 EAT 2006

On Friday 26 May 2006 10:29, Bruce Zamaere wrote:

> interface FastEthernet0/24
>
>  switchport trunk allowed vlan 101-103
>
>  switchport mode trunk
>
>  no ip address

As Patrick suggests, .1q is probably a good idea - we like (to
be) "open" :-).

conf t
 int fa0/24
  switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

> At the moment I have to host on ports 1 and 24 with IPs on
> their respective subnets. I can only ping the switch when the
> vlan in question is brought up! Also from the switch I can't
> ping the host or the interface unless the vlan is brought up.
> So if I can only have one vlan up at a time how should my
> config / setup change?

Well, assign an IP address to the switch that's in the same
subnet as the router connected to trunk port 24. Then set a
default route on your switch to the router. It's done the old
way on this switch model:

conf t
 ip default-gateway n.n.n.n

Be sure to have a corresponding management VLAN up/up on the
switch.

Just out of curiousity, why would you like direct Layer 3
reachability switch from all VLANs, especially since you'll
probably be working in only one of them most of the time?

If, for some reason, you require Layer 3 reachability from the
switch from any VLAN, you can do so through the router. The
switch doesn't have to have all VLAN interfaces for that to
happen.

Cheers,

Mark.