[afnog] VLANs on Cisco Catalyst 2950

Bruce Zamaere bzamaere at gmail.com
Fri May 26 10:19:37 EAT 2006

Guys,

I'm having a bit of a problem configuring vlans on a cisco 2950. I'm trying
to achieve the following and don't know if I done it correctly.

vlan            network           department       member ports
vlan101    10.1.101.0/24      Admin                   1, 24
vlan102    10.1.102.0/24      Marketing              2, 24
vlan103    10.1.103.0/24      Production             3, 24
vlan24      10.1.124.0/24      Servers                 24

I have defined the vlans with no problems using the vlan database command
and have configured the ports as follows:

interface FastEthernet0/1
switchport access vlan 101
switchport mode access
!
interface FastEthernet0/2
switchport access vlan 102
switchport mode access
!
interface FastEthernet0/3
switchport access vlan 103
switchport mode access
!
interface FastEthernet0/24
switchport trunk allowed vlan 1-3
switchport mode trunk

The interesting part is that the vlan configuration shows all the vlans
except vlan1 in shutdown mode. If I bring up a vlan with the no shut command
the vlan in question comes up and vlan1 automatically shutsdown. Such being
the case I can't seem to get more than 1 vlan to be up at a time. Does
anyone know why this is the case and how I can get around it?

regards,

Bruce.