[afnog] SMTP server rejecting domain

David Chima dchima at malswitch.com
Mon Jun 5 08:45:45 EAT 2006

Brian,
You are right. But what I meant is that mangaliso should just make sure that what is declared in the .org database for
NSes for cedrisa.org should not be only secondaries for this domain but include a primary. Currently, the NSes for the
domain as declared at .org does not include the primary nameserver. As Randy has put it with doc, it straight asks
chambo.sdnp.org.mw for SOA. I guess that's what is declared as primary for this domain at .org while at present it is
nyala.sdnp.org.mw which is the primary for the domain yet not declared at .org.

Regards

David

On 2 Jun 2006 at 19:30, Brian Candler wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 05:24:07PM +0200, David Chima wrote:
> > The SOA for the domain cedrisa.org is nyala.sdnp.org.mw.
>
> That doesn't really make sense; an SOA is a resource record which contains a
> bunch of fields, not a server.
>
> One of the fields in an SOA record is the (purported) "primary" or "master"
> server. However this information is not used for anything other than
> debugging. In particular it's not used when actually resolving a name.
>
> What *is* used is the list of nameservers returned in the delegation NS
> records, and they are treated as equals. It doesn't matter which is
> "master"; the master-slave arrangement is entirely a private arrangement
> between the authoritative nameservers about how an identical set of resource
> records is distributed between them.
>
> Regards,
>
> Brian.

Malswitch