[afnog] Secured SMTP server

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Mon Jul 24 18:26:00 EAT 2006

On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 04:11:32PM +0200,
 Marouen MRAIHI <mr.marouen at gmail.com> wrote
 a message of 12 lines which said:

> I have postfix installed on en HP-UX server and I want to give a
> secured SMTP for remote users (to allow them to send emails through
> that server).

You can authenticate remote users with:

1) TLS. This requires a certificate for each client.

2) SASL. This works with a password, which is transmitted in clear
(which, IMHO, requires an encrypted link, for instance with TLS, this
time for confidentiality) or used for a challenge/response.

The choice depends on:

* your PKI for the choice 1)
* your clients (remember that security is an HUMAN process: "securing"
  means spending a lot of time on the phone, talking with people who
  are unable to type a password properly)
* your client's software
* your existing databases (if you want to reuse them for SASL)

You can also configure both methods which will allow your clients to
choose but this complicates your setup.

I suggest to test both, and with typical MUA software, before
choosing.