[afnog] QoS setting verification

nishal goburdhan nishal at controlfreak.co.za
Wed Jul 19 17:59:28 EAT 2006

Kayihura M. Eddy wrote:
> Hi all,

hi.

> I have set some QoS on our border gateway and I need your views on this
> setting and if there are tools I can use to test that this settings are
> working as I want.
>

> The configs lines regarding the setting are as follow (I have removed
> some lines that are not very relevant to the question):
>
> interface Hssi2/0
<snip>
>  service-policy output VoIP_policy

do you want to check if this is working?
in ios, you'd type:
'show policy-map interface XX output class YY'

which should give you all the info that you want.

if you're looking to graph this over a period of time, that's more
interesting :)  first off, be aware that the interface-qos-snmp-indexes
are probably the most volatile ones that exists in IOS  :-/

if your router support this, i'd stronly recommend adding:
'snmp-server ifindex persist'

(without quotes of course].
aside from taking a little nvram, it's worth the effort...

what you basically need is the snmp-oid for the service policy.
i'm told that there are plugins to do this for cacti, and a quick search
turned up: http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?p=62484#62484
but i've never used that...

to figure out the oid you can start here:
http://lists.ee.ethz.ch/mrtg/msg24544.html

it's not too trivial, but not *overly* complicated either, if you don't
have too much on the same router :)

once you have the oid, you can plug that into almost any utility - like
mrtg - to generate your graphs.

hth,
--n.