[afnog] Help on Access list Evaluation

Herbert Maosa h_maosa at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jul 18 19:57:13 EAT 2006

Brian Candler wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 10:14:16PM +0100, Herbert Maosa wrote:
>
>> Are you receiving more traffic on your interface than you expect from
>> your customers according to the SLAs ?( assuming you have SLAs).
>>

> Aside: "SLA" is usually used when the ISP guarantees a particular level of
> service, with financial penalties if it is not met by the ISP. These are
> rare, as most ISPs are loathe to guarantee any particular level of service,
> particularly when their service depends on the performance of other
> companies on the Internet over whom they have no control

Yes, this is particulary true for African ISPs because the majority  do
not provide non-Internet related services and most do not own their own
backbones. I am tempted to actually say most do not provide services,
rather they just provide internet connectivity. Also, you dont get many
" carrier's carriers " in the African region and this perhaps also does
not make the need for SLAs obvious.

Herbert.