[afnog] Help on Access list Evaluation

Mark Tinka mtinka at africaonline.co.zw
Mon Jul 17 11:28:16 EAT 2006

On Monday 17 July 2006 10:06, Brian Candler wrote:

> Then you can see which port is generating the most traffic,
> and trace it back. More importantly, you can start building up
> a history of utilisation on your network. In other words, a
> single port generating a lot of traffic may be perfectly
> correct, because that's what you want it to do. But if you
> have a single port which has been generating very little
> traffic over the last week or month and is suddenly generating
> large amounts of traffic - that's something which needs to be
> investigated.

I agree... having monitoring active as a "must_have" ensures you
maintain historical data of the performance of your network, and
as such, can quickly track trends and know when/where things go
wrong.

I can't tell you how often Netflow, switch port monitoring,
e.t.c., has saved the day for me.

Mark.