[afnog] Xntp on Solaris 9

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Sun Jan 29 23:34:27 EAT 2006

> Actually didn't have to change anything. I took a hint from one of those
> links talking about making changes without having to reboot. Left
> /etc/default/init as showing TZ=Africa/Kampala Left my ntp.conf as is and
> just rebooted! Voila, system was now working.

cool!

> It just left a sour taste in my mouth that this was a bit too similar to
> BillOS in that one has to reboot for minor system changes.

unnerstand.  on my freebsd laptop, the only system not on gmt, when i move
timezones, the peocess is
  o run tzsetup to change timezone
  o if i have my mail user agent (vm, under emacs) running, which i
    always do, i have to exit that session and start a new one or
    it keeps the old data
  o kill and restart cron
  o the clock in my desktop panel needs to be stopped and restarted
    (clock in gnome panel)

imiho, i should not have to do those last two

note that my hardware clock is gmt

randy