[afnog] New IPv6 Address Block Allocated to the RIPE NCC

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Tue Jan 3 13:24:46 EAT 2006

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 11:11:03AM +0100, Jeroen Massar wrote:
> Don't forget the aggregation part and that France has about 60 million
> inhabitants(*). Also calculate into that growth for the future.

I think the important metric is households, rather than inhabitants, which
I'd imagine is more like 20-30M. The address plan is supposed to cover two
years of growth, if I understand correctly.

> I guess you don't see how vastly large the IPv6 address space is.
> All current allocations are happening from 2000::/3(**), the "Global
> Unicast" space. A /19 is only (19-3 = 16 -> 2^16 ->) 1/65536th of that
> part of the address space.

So we have a maximum allocation of 2^16 ISPs, or the same sort of limit as
AS numbers. Will that last 10 years? Probably. Will it last 100 years? I
doubt it. Geoff's document addresses this very well.

In any case, this allocation is only supposed to last them 2 years, so if
they actually use it in such an inefficient but permitted way then in 2
years they could be back for more.

But I take the point given by the RIR people on this list that they have
realised the shortcomings of this policy and are in the process of reviewing
it.