[afnog] tar: Concatenate / Create from STDIN?

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Mon Feb 27 01:36:19 EAT 2006

On 26-Feb-2006, at 15:48, Brian Candler wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 25, 2006 at 06:55:27PM +0300, Begumisa Gerald M wrote:
>
>> I'm faced with an interesting issue.  I'm using a simple command
>> to backup
>> a bunch of files from one machine to another.  I would like to end
>> up with
>> one .tar.gz file on the remote machine.

You won't get the compressed tarball results directly, but if you are
open to other suggestions you might find it worthwhile looking at
rsnapshot.

   http://www.rsnapshot.org/

This approach uses rsync and hard links to provide you with multiple,
aged snapshots of a remote filesystem; the use of hard links means
that the only extra disk space used by the multiple snapshots is for
files that have changed (files that stay the same take up no more
space).

The individual files aren't compressed using this scheme; however, if
you can save space retaining multiple backups using hard links on
unchanged files instead, perhaps that's ok.

Joe