[afnog] mergemaster mess

Mike Barnard mike.barnardq at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 09:38:02 EAT 2006

On 2/23/06, Phil Regnauld <regnauld at x0.dk> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 09:58:43AM -0700, Mike Barnard wrote:
> > ok, now this is interesting. i moved my rc.conf file to another location
> and
> > recopied the /etc/defauls/rc.conf file to /etc/rc.conf and the problem
> > disappeared. would really like to know why!!
>
>         1. Do not COPY /etc/defaults/rc.conf to /etc/rc.conf -- rc.conf
>         should contain only _changes_ to the default.

Thanks Phil. OK. i editted the copied rc.conf file and left the entries i
need in there. removed the comments as well. it works great. but as soon as
i add any other entries (that are not there yet), to start other services. i
get the same error. i added the options to start exim and apache and i get
the same error, "path: not found" if i remove the line entry then all is
fine. i can however start my exim and apache the /usr/local/etc/$service
start command.

i am running  FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE-p11. somehow, before i bring down the
latest sources all works fine but when i cvsup and rebuild my kernel this
happens.

this is the entry i have in my stable-supfile:

*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_5_4

        The RC boot system in FreeBSD works in the following fashion:

>         a) read all defaults in from /etc/defaults/rc.conf
>         b) read overriden variables from /etc/rc.conf
>
>         So copying /etc/defaults/rc.conf amounts to having an empty
> /etc/rc.conf
>
>         2. In your posted rc.conf:
>
> > > path: not found
>
>         ... could be caused by:
>
> > > sshd_program="/usr/local/sbin/sshd"# path to sshd, if you want a
> different

well, i got the same problem even if i tried to start sshd or any other
program manually, until i changed to rc.conf file. trying to run, for
example /usr/local/sbin/sshd, got me the same error.

        ... try to add a space between " and #, i.e.:

>         % var="value"#comment
>         % echo $var
>         value#comment

You can either enjoy the benefits of your FAITH or suffer the consequences
of your DOUBT