[afnog] Postfix

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Wed Feb 8 19:51:27 EAT 2006

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 08:02:31AM -0800,
 Yahaya Wara <mywarra at yahoo.com> wrote
 a message of 39 lines which said:

> I began to experience high latency on my network,

Rather than vague descriptions like "high latency", it would be better
to post the actual measures you did and the actual results (for
instance, how do you measure latency? ping? If so, what was the actual
RTT measured?)

> I checked the mailq file of my server I found thousands of mails

Of course, it depends on the bandwidth of your Internet link (64
kb/s?) but I find hard to believe that thousands of emails would be
sufficient to occupy it. Postfix, by default, retries only every
fifteen minutes (and you should increase this value if your line is
small).

> I deleted the mailq content of mailq file using this command:
> postsuper -d ALL

I hope it was a test machine and that there was no real users using
this service!