[afnog] monitoring my ISP

Martin Hannigan hannigan at renesys.com
Thu Aug 17 06:14:39 SAST 2006

At 03:16 PM 8/16/2006, Scott Weeks wrote:

>On Wednesday 16 August 2006 13:13, Marouen MRAIHI wrote:
> > anything that proves to my ISP that I have a poor internet
> > access.
>
>Perhaps we might list those things that help him to prove
>poor access.  Here is a short starting list several of which
>others have already mentioned:
>
>Thing to measure          tool to use
>
>RTT (pings)                smokeping
>traffic levels              MRTG or other SNMP tool
>input/out errors            MRTG or other SNMP tool
>dropped/discarded packets   MRTG or other SNMP tool
>circuit flaps               MRTG or other SNMP tool
>
>Can others add to the list?

I recently completed a study of the view of the world for an ISP
and the combination of smokeping, cricket(mrtg), and nfsen (netflow)
covered everything. This would work for a customer as well as long
as you can interpret the data and understand the baselines i.e. what
the different impacts on the different monitors are.

Beware of bandwidth utilization. The more monitors, the more bandwidth.

Example: http://www.fugawi.net/~hannigan/org-now.png the basline of
100ms was normal behavoir and you can see the abnormal behavoir. By
comparing to other monitors though, I could determine that this was not
related to my network, but was a problem at the target.

Hope that helps.

-M<

--
Martin Hannigan                                (c) 617-388-2663
Renesys Corporation                            (w) 617-395-8574
                                                hannigan at renesys.com