[afnog] vexim (support)

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Sat Aug 5 22:12:06 SAST 2006

On Sat, Aug 05, 2006 at 07:57:30PM +0100, Sunday Adekunle Folayan wrote:
> > I haven't seen what vexim does, but maybe similar functionality can be
> > written in ruby/eruby, which already exists in Linnet. A web frontend to
> > edit local_domains, userdb and LDAP would be a good start, I guess
> >
> It is a good start. Is it something that can be done in ruby instead of
> php? Do pardon my ignorance when it comes to ruby. I am well past the
> age programmers retire, and learning a new language is not my idea of fun.

Ruby is what Perl should have been :-)

Perl without the line noise (e.g. semi-colons at end of lines, dollars for
variables)

Perl without the nonsense of scalars, arrays, hashes, references to arrays,
references to hashes, typeglobs, filehandles... in Ruby, everything is a
reference to an object.

Perl without the horrible function call syntax: args in $_[0], $_[1] etc

Perl without the $self->{'method'} yucky object oriented interface, but a
clean OO approach to everything.

But Ruby keeps all the things you love about Perl (such as regexps), and
some Perlisms just for good measure (like global variables $_)