[afnog] mail problem

Mike Barnard mike.barnardq at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 15:30:26 EAT 2006

> Well, works from here and as you can see from below, I use exactly the
> same gateway router that you use... 217.212.242.1
>
> [root at sentry root]# telnet mail.avsi.org 110
> Trying 81.208.64.123...
> Connected to mail.avsi.org.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> +OK <17533.1145444759 at avsi.org>
> user test
> +OK
> pass test
> -ERR authorization failed

hmmm, this is intresting. unless in one  way or another they are blocking
access from the address range i am using.  telnet sessions shown below.

port 25...
mail# telnet mail.avsi.org 25
Trying 81.208.64.123...
telnet: connect to address 81.208.64.123: Operation timed out
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host
mail# telnet mail2.avsi.org 25
Trying 81.208.64.68...
telnet: connect to address 81.208.64.68: Operation timed out
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host
mail# telnet main.avsi.org 25
Trying 81.208.64.123...
telnet: connect to address 81.208.64.123: Operation timed out
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host
mail#

port 110
mail# telnet mail.avsi.org 110
Trying 81.208.64.123...
telnet: connect to address 81.208.64.123: Operation timed out
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host
mail# telnet mail2.avsi.org 110
Trying 81.208.64.68...
telnet: connect to address 81.208.64.68: Operation timed out
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host
mail# telnet main.avsi.org 110
Trying 81.208.64.123...
telnet: connect to address 81.208.64.123: Operation timed out
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host

this is intresting... because now i cannot even get to port 25 on any of
them...

What IP address are you trying to access this from?

all the mail connections were tried off their gateway(
avsi.one2net.co.ug--41.220.14.72)... the traceroutes were initially done off
that gateway and later i tried it on my gate router. today i moved on to my
core servers and tried from there. the output above is done from my mail
server (mail.one2net.co.ug).

since Richard and I run the same backbone network, can i safely conclude
that they are blocking my address block from talking to them! i do not see
any other reason as to why two separate persons running off the same
backbone network yield different results (apart from misonconfigured routers
and firewall on my side, which i have made sure are not the case or the
cause).

Regards

Mike