[afnog] ssh Problem

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Wed Apr 19 12:16:56 EAT 2006

On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 07:14:08AM +0200, Thato Molise wrote:
> This is what I see
> Trying 196.X.X.X...
> Connected to host.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> Connection closed by foreign host.

Please reply to the list, not to me personally.

OK, that shows that the remote host is accepting the TCP connection, and
then dropping it. This behaviour is typical of libwrap ("tcp wrappers");
this is configured by /etc/hosts.allow (and/or /etc/hosts.deny on some
machines), or could be configured in sshd_config

Have a look in these files, and read 'man hosts_access'. I suspect that
libwrap is blocking ssh connections except from certain IP ranges.