[afnog] mail problem

Mike Barnard mike.barnardq at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 08:58:18 EAT 2006

hi, i seem to be having a strange mail problem. i have a client who i am
running an "smtp gateway" this system sends his mail for him, but he pops
from a different mail server.

he pops his mail from italy while i do the smtp for him in uganda. Across
all other networks, he can pop his mail, but not on mine. i have made sure
that this system is not in any blacklisting databases, but that would really
affect sending not receiving. my exim conf file is as below

<snip>

domainlist local_domains = @
domainlist relay_to_domains = avsi.org
hostlist   relay_from_hosts = 192.168.0.0/24

 </snip>

ive tried to telnet into his mail server but i cannot get far

avsi# telnet mail.avsi.org 110
Trying 81.208.64.123...
telnet: connect to address 81.208.64.123: Operation timed out
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host
avsi#

i tried it with all their three mail servers and still got a connection time
out.

to make it even worse, i cannot access his webmail page (webmail.avsi.org),
i get a time out on that as well. the italy office tell me they do not block
anything from anyone at the moment.

anything that i have missed! ive run out of ideas

Mike Kwatampora