[afnog] Freeware for testing dsl speed

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Fri Apr 14 15:33:22 EAT 2006

On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 10:40:07AM +0000, Emmanuel A Kwarteng wrote:

> Hello Jan,
>
> I have checked it out, and it looks like it's testing the download speed from
> that remote server to the client just like sites like http://www.dslreports.
> com/stest?loc=2 and http://www.numion.com/YourSpeed3/Run.php.
>
> I really want something like that, but installed on my server so that it can
> be close to my subscribers. I want to be able to get an idea of the speed
> between my subscribers and my gateway.

I think Geert Jan is saying, just copy those files to an FTP server which
you run. Then your clients can transfer them from your FTP server, and
measure the download speed.

If your clients aren't intelligent enough to do that, then they're probably
not intelligent enough to interpret the output of some PHP-based tester...
nor to install the Java VM which you need for the first URL given above.