[afnog] BandWidth Manager

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Wed Sep 28 18:19:13 EAT 2005

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 04:47:17PM +0200, tracy musaza wrote:
>    Here is a better tool to manage Bandwidth builded under  FreeBSD, just
>    browse
>
>    [1]www.etinc.com/bwmgr.htm

Except the OP asked for "an open solution (open source solution)". This
software costs US$495 for a 2Mbps limit, or US$795 for 10Mbps.
http://www.etinc.com/index.php?cPath=25_29

You also get a licence key which is hard-coded to your ethernet MAC address,
which is about as non-open as you can get. One of the FAQ points says:

"Q. What if I have a Software License and my System Fails?

A. We acknowledge that ethernet cards break and Motherboards blow up, but if
you are unlucky (or careless) we can't foot the bill, and it does take time
to process a replacement key. As the original purchaser, we will replace
your key (and "retire" your old key) for a $100. processing charge if you
need a replacement as long as you keep your license current. You only get 1
replacement.

Note that your License Key is unique to your machine. If you change or move
the software to a new machine (even with the same ethernet card), you will
incur the replacement charge."

I can't see from the website what exactly what is required to "keep your
license current" or how much it costs, although the upgrade fees look pretty
horrendous (e.g. $500 to upgrade from v3.01 to v3.02)