[afnog] BandWidth Manager

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Wed Sep 28 14:47:54 EAT 2005

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 12:56:30PM +0200, Phil Regnauld wrote:
> 	FreeBSD + dummynet

Another option to look at is FreeBSD + pf + altq. I find pf more flexible
than ipfw, especially if you need to perform NAT on the same box, but I
don't have any experience using altq.

>       Eventually look
> 	at www.m0n0.ch/wall -- flash card + small computer = web based
> 	firewall with bandwith manager, pptp router, etc...

Remember you can boot a modern ordinary PC from a USB pen drive; also you
can get adapters to plug a compact flash card into an IDE port, since CF
cards have native IDE interfaces.

Other hardware you might want to consider includes the EPIA mini-ITX boards.
One model has triple ethernet ports; another has compact flash and PC-Card
sockets. There are lots of nice cases you can choose for them too.