[afnog] pop3 errors on fedora core 3 - LF not found on mailbox

Sunday A Folayan sfolayan at skannet.com.ng
Tue Sep 13 14:22:03 EAT 2005

At 08:44 AM 9/13/2005, Brian Candler wrote:
>But if you're looking to fix scalability problems too, I would move over to
>using Maildir storage, where every message is in a separate file, instead of
>mbox. This is free of locking problems and scales a lot better. I have had
>good experience with courier-imap's POP3/IMAP daemons (note they _only_ work
>with Maildir, so there's no way to migrate to them while you're still using
>mbox)

or better still ... Install Linnet. http://www.linnet.org. Its the swiss
army knife of E-mailing services.

The website says:

Linnet is a pre-built, pre-configured, ready-to-run bundle of software for
providing ISP services. It is designed to be highly scalable, flexible, yet
easy to administer. It is aimed at:
    * small ISPs, e.g. in developing countries, who want an
easy-to-administer service platform which will grow with them
    * large ISPs who want a ready-to-run cluster node
    * schools, universities, offices etc.
The current package provides only E-mail services (SMTP, POP3, IMAP,
webmail), but it will be extended in the future to include web hosting/FTP,
RADIUS etc.

To use Linnet, you need to have installed a Unix system, and you need to be
able to follow some simple instructions for untarring a package and to be
able to edit some text files to customise the software for your site.
However, you don't need to be an expert in any of the applications
themselves; they come complete with working and tested configuration files.

Regards ...

SF.