[afnog] DHCP configuration on cisco router 2600 series

Mark Tinka mtinka at africaonline.co.sz
Mon Sep 12 11:06:27 EAT 2005

On Saturday 10 September 2005 15:44, Paul wrote:
> mark,

Hi Paul.

For the future, please copy the AfNOG list into your
replies so the information is beneficial to all; thanks!

> Pls help me with some access-list command to block
> udp,...

Several UDP ports are useful. What are you trying to
block, exactly? One network's idea of evil ports might
just be another's allowed_ports.

> spam,...

Although Cisco IOS has support for spam detection via the
use of signature profiles, I'd recommend using
UNIX/Linux based packages to detect and mitigate
spam-related issues, e.g., SpamAssassin on FreeBSD or
Linux.

Doing it on IOS may not provide extensive options as
running it on a general purpose OS. But if you did
decide to go that route, you'd need an IOS with the
Firewall IDS featurset.

> spyware port...

Some anti-spam packages can also check for spyware, but
most commercial anti-spam/anti-virus vendors will also
provide anti-spyware capabilities.

> and some virus port on my
> router.

Most viruses nowadays come in via e-mail, either legit or
spam. Yes, other viruses will go after services/ports,
but again, it depends on what you are trying to protect.

Why don't you let us know what services you are running
on your network, and what services you need to let
in/out. Then maybe we can work on an access list
specific for your site, step by step.

Mark.