[afnog] Career Workshop for High School Girls

Dorcas Muthoni dmuthoni at kenet.or.ke
Fri Sep 2 16:44:48 EAT 2005

On September 10, 2005 starting 9.30 a.m, members of LinuxChix Africa
(www.africalinuxchix.org) who live in Kenya will to hold a Career
Workshop for High School girls to encourage them to pursue careers in
Computing.

We believe that computing as a whole and Free and Open Source
Software(FOSS) in particular, can play a significant role in empowering
women. The copyleft nature of FOSS helps programmers to learn from
programs or modify them so that they build on the innovations of others
rather than re-invent the wheel: Great achievements can only be made by
standing on the shoulders of giants.

However, IT innovations and the opportunities are ineffectual if people
are un-aware of them. The lack of awareness goes a long way in
explaining the notable dearth of women in the IT industry in Kenya. A
situation, that exists inspite of the fact that they achieve as well as
the boys in pre-university examinations. Due to lack of access to
information about the opportunities in the ICT field, girls who do well
in their O-Levels often opt for other disciplines. The purpose of this
workshop is to provide them with information on computing and also
answer their questions regarding computing as a career.

The team is composed of former and current Computer Science students and
other players in the computing industry. Keynote speakers will comprise
luminaries from various IT displines. We shall have women system
administrators, system analysts, developers, academics, entreprenuers,
CTOs and other computer scientists. The focus on women keynote speakers
is a deliberate move that aimed at demonstrating success in the IT
industry is not impeded by one's gender. It is hoped that the speakers
will inspire and serve as role models to the girls.

We expect up to 450 students to attend. The event will be held at the
Catholic University of Eastern Africa, Jubilee Hall Auditorium in
collaboration with their Computer Science Department.

Although this event is in commemoration of the Software Freedom Day, the
team intends to build on the gains of the day by setting up Linuxchix
Africa affliated clubs in the schools in order spread the spirit of
opensisterhood in computing.

In the afternoon starting *2.00 p.m*, we shall have discussion tables
where industry players can freely interact with the students in order to
share their experiences and inspirations. All are welcome.

We shall distribute CDs and leaflets to the girls which they will be
able to carry and share with others.

This event will happen with support from Catholic University of Eastern
Africa, KENIC, KICTANET and CATIA. We applaud them for their kindness.

Thanks and regards,
Dorcas Muthoni
Team Leader
Cofounder LinuxChix Africa