[afnog] Resize FreeBSD partition

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Thu Sep 1 22:21:51 EAT 2005

On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 06:42:14PM +0200, NKUSI, Issa Karera.  wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> Having a laptop with two OSs (Windows 2000 and FreeBSD) and
> booting from FreeBSD. I have tried to resize FreeBSD
> partition so that a get more space in Windows unfortunately
> I keep getting a message saying that the slice is in use,
> and should be deleted first or be moved to an unused slice
> (which a don't have).
> Is there any good idea on the way to avoid failure? How
> shall I do?

Resizing partitions which contain data that you want to keep is tricky. Your
best bet might be a commercial package like PartitionMagic - although it
might not be able to resize a FreeBSD partition.

If you're happy to loose the FreeBSD data then you can zap that partition,
and create two smaller ones in its place. One can be a D: drive (for extra
Windows space) and the other a new FreeBSD partition. If your C: and D:
Windows partitions are adjacent to each other, then PartitionMagic will
probably be able to join them into a single larger C:

There might be free tools out there which can do this, but I'm not aware of
them. It's a long time since I've used any version of Windows anyway :-)