[afnog] Audio Streaming

Mike Barnard mike.barnardq at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 19:28:50 EAT 2005

sorry i gave you a wrong link, try http://www.shoutcast.com/download/, there
is another that is worth a try http://www.icecast.org/ , havent looked much
at it, but the first try i had with it, it worked fine. both can be run on
either platform of your choice (UNIX/Linux or Windows).

you can either setup a server for it or use it to encode or listen, choice
is yours. you can try the server bit, but it needs you to have abundant
bandwidth.

On 10/26/05, Mike Barnard <mike.barnardq at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/26/05, Thato Molise <info at datacom.co.ls> wrote:
> >
> >  Hi all
> >
> > I am running Redhat Enterprise 3. We want to advance our services to
> > Radio
> > Streaming. Is there anyone who would like to tell me how to implement
> > Radio
> > Streaming as an ISP?
> >

> i believe that all you need is a computer that can access the radio
> station, TV-FM card should do the trick.
> there are a number of software that you could use for this to happen, most
> i have seen are windows based,
> but i believe that winamp, real and some others provide you with some that
> can run on UNIX/Linux systems.
>

> What hardware devices should we use?
> >

> a PC with a TV-FM card and a sound card (on-board or PCI). preferably one
> PC per radio station.
>
> What software will best fit this service?
> >

> if you are running on Linux or UNIX, i would recommend trying winamps
> solution for this. it is what i have used and it has worked well.
> windows advanced server does come with its own encoding software but that
> ties you down a whole lot. i avoid windows at all costs.
> FreeBSD is the platform i run on and it runs like a baby with winamps
> software, just download the necessary scripts it from winamps site (
> winamp.com <http://winamp.com>) and get rolling.
>
> How is this service implemented?
> >

> you will need to locate a streaming service provider somewhere out there
> who support the encoding that you are using. these are the guys who are
> going to give you the global connectivity that you want. after encoding, and
> registering with them and paying the fee, they pick up your signal and
> publish it out there for reception.
>
> the bandwidth that you want goes in hand with the number of listeners you
> want at any one time (50 listeners have a certain bandwidth provided).
> remember that these machines need considerable amount of bandwidth from you
> as well. i would suggest 256/512 for a single radio station pc, if you are
> looking for appreciable listenership and clarity. whichever bandwidth gives
> you satisfactory results will do as well. bandwidth also is determined by
> the compresion factor that you are using on the encoded media.
>
> the encoding you use restricts your listeners to that media player. if you
> use real, then they need real media player, if you use winamp, they need
> winamp. the other option is to have a media player embedded into a browser,
> this makes it easier for people to listen regardless of any media player. if
> you want this option, find a service provider who has this provided.
>
> We have a number of Radio Stations who would like to use the service.
> >
> > Will each radio Station need its own server for streaming?
> >

> ideally yes each station needs its own server for streaming, unless you
> can figure out a way to use one tv-fm card to catch two stations
> simultaneously. one thing that you could try is to have two tv-fm cards and
> [...]

You can either enjoy the benefits of your FAITH or suffer the consequences
of your DOUBT