[afnog] Collection Engine

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Tue Oct 4 11:54:26 EAT 2005

On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 10:05:58AM +0200, Mark Tinka wrote:
> > I think ATRN would scale best, but it needs a decent
> > server implementation.
>
> Is there a package readily available for this?

Not as far as I know. freshmeat.net turns up two projects when you search
for "ODMR".

It's been on my wishlist to write an ATRN daemon for courier-imap, which
could pull messages out of a Maildir. This means ensuring that the envelope
is always stored in a safe place within the message headers, but otherwise
it would just mean hacking the POP3 daemon, plus adding the ability to send
bounces. Users could then switch between ATRN, POP3, IMAP and Webmail access
at wil without having to reconfigure their mailbox.

However this has been low down on the list. One reason it's low down is
because I don't know whether there is widespread client support. Does an
Exchange or SBS server have the ability to retrieve mail using ATRN (either
natively or with a plugin?) If so there would be a good reason for
implementing ATRN at the Unix server side.