[afnog] Good backup software

Phil Regnauld regnauld at x0.dk
Mon Nov 28 01:40:22 EAT 2005

Currently in the process of translating some course material on security
(which of course includes regular backups -- right everyont ? :), I thought
it might be of some use to all the network and sysadmins here to know about
good backup software.

For little over a year now I've been using Bacula (http://www.bacula.org/)
for making network backups of all my servers (and a few customers).

Bacula is open source, extremely well (too much ?) documented -- the handbook
weighs in at over 400 pages, and it does pretty much everything you'd expect
from large, expensive, complicated backup software -- short of real HSM
(hierarchical storage management).

It provides clients for UNIX/Windows/OS X, and the server will run on anything
UNIX-like.

I strongly recommend it: it's solid, good backend (PostgreSQL or MySQL),
and a growing community.

The authors might sound familiar: Kern Sibbald and John Walker -- some 20
years ago they wrote a piece of software called AutoCAD...

Phil