[afnog] Cisco Source Code Reportedly Stolen

Brian Longwe cto at nbi.ispkenya.com
Tue May 24 10:50:24 EAT 2005

On 24 May 2005, at 10:47, Phil Regnauld wrote:

> On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 10:16:28PM +0300, Brian Longwe wrote:
>
>> This is really scary!

>> Cisco Source Code Reportedly Stolen
>> By Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols
>> May 18, 2004
>>

>     And a year old! :)  They arrested some of the people recently.

Yes - last week....

Cisco Says Swede Detained for 2004 Hacking Incident
By  Reuters
May 10, 2005

WASHINGTON/STOCKHOLM (Reuters)— Cisco Systems Inc. said on Tuesday
authorities in Sweden had detained a person for stealing its source
code, the basic instructions for the machines that direct Internet
traffic around the globe.

"We are aware that a person has been detained in Sweden related to
the IOS source code theft and are encouraged by this action," the San
Jose, California, company said in a statement.

Swedish police have declined to say whether their investigation of a
16-year-old boy is related to a May 2004 incident that exposed the
inner workings of Cisco's Internetworking Operating System, or IOS.

Police in Uppsala, a university town north of Stockholm, said on
Tuesday they had been contacted by the Federal Bureau of
Investigation about a teenager already in trouble with the law in
Sweden for allegedly hacking into university computers.

Swedish police said the teenager, whom they would not identify by
name, had been questioned about hacker attacks on Uppsala University
computers, but had not been arrested.

"We have not received any formal request from (U.S. authorities) to
question or apprehend the 16-year-old," Uppsala police spokesman
Christer Nordstrom said. "But I can confirm that there has been an
exchange of information with the FBI."

The New York Times reported that the Cisco theft was part of a
broader hacking campaign that targeted computer systems run by U.S.
universities and government agencies.

Several supercomputer labs in April 2004 reported that computers
connected to the high-speed TeraGrid network had been breached.

A spokeswoman for the White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico
confirmed that the facility had experienced an intrusion around the
time that Cisco reported its breach, but said no sensitive
information was obtained.

"Basically, they got into some local weather forecasts," spokeswoman
Monte Marlin said.

Source code, the underlying blueprint of computer software,
determines how programs work. Companies like Microsoft Corp.
zealously guard their source code because they consider it the
lifeblood of their business.

Cisco said last May that portions of its IOS source code had been
copied from its internal systems and posted on a foreign Web site for
several days, where presumably other hackers could examine it closely
for security flaws. The company said at the time that the breach
would not put customers' equipment at risk.

The FBI said in a statement it had been working with authorities in
Sweden and Great Britain to track down the culprit. "As a result of
recent actions, the criminal activity appears to have stopped," it said.

Authorities in Great Britain arrested a 20-year-old man last
September in connection with the Cisco hacking, but no charges have
been filed.

(Additional reporting by Reuters Stockholm bureau)