[afnog] Fetchmail/Exim Problem - saga continues!

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Fri May 20 15:15:08 EAT 2005

On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 01:58:44PM +0300, Julius Kidubuka wrote:
> > I then made necessary changes to /etc/mail/mailer.conf and restarted the
> > exim daemon. Fetchmail is now delivering mail to the right folders, that
> > is, /usr/mail/domain-name/users/username/Maildir and all is well for now
>
> Unfortunately the only mail being delivered to say,
> /usr/mail/kulika.one2net.co.ug/users/joanna/Maildir is that which has been
> sent from the system itself (.ie. after doing a, mail -v joanna) otherwise
> mail from other sources (.ie. other mailservers) is still being delivered
> to the file /var/mail/joanna (for this particular case)!

Sounds to me like you are still running a sendmail daemon.

Try 'telnet x.x.x.x 25' and show us what banner you receive.

>From here, it looks totally broken:

$ telnet 62.73.190.76 25
Trying 62.73.190.76...
Connected to www.kulika.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
572 Relay not authorized
Connection closed by foreign host.

That's definitely not Exim.

The command 'sockstat -4l' will show you the name of the daemon which is
listening on port 25, and its process ID.

Kill it, then restart the exim daemon.