[afnog] need to identify low priced but good wi-fi bridge set

Sunday A Folayan sfolayan at skannet.com.ng
Fri May 20 04:04:44 EAT 2005

I believe BL is referring to the Routerboard 200 Series. The 500 series
come much cheaper, run much faster than the RB200, and has 3 ethernet
ports. Please see www.routerboard.com. for details. We played with 10 of
them at the Tutorials in Maputo.

Here, we (apart from CPE) use them as Access Points. We power them off 36V
batteries, using power over Ethernet, and rig 3 of 12V solar panels to
charge the batteries. The boards have a built-in watch-dog timer, which
just reboots the system, should a configurable internal ping process to a
designated interface fail. They just run forever. The routers (Yes, they
are routers) also talk OSPF so you can build a happy mesh of fully
redundant Access points. They have SNMP support: so mrtg and all its
cousins will show you nice stats. Lest I forget, they also talk to Radius
Servers, for customer access control.

I call it the swiss army knife of wireless networking.

Regards ...

Sunday.