[afnog] need to identify low priced but good wi-fi bridge set

Dr Paulos Nyirenda paulos at sdnp.org.mw
Wed May 18 01:19:02 EAT 2005

On 17 May 2005 at 15:30, Brian Candler wrote:

> Are the local users to be connected to their wi-fi set via ethernet, or do
> you want to create a second wireless cell within the customer premises?

Via ethernet. Second wireless cell within the customwer premises is not on the
agenda at this phase, we just want to terminate one connection to the end user.

> And, how cheap do you want to go? :-)

We would like to make this significantly less expensive compared to the current rate
for putting a solution similar to a cisco aironet 350 workgroup brdge. As cheap as
possible without losing quality of delivering data and information to the end user
is the aim.

> You can get router/AP combos that include a couple of phone ports, for doing
> voice over IP, or VPN tunnelling software (which would secure your
> customers' traffic over the air).
>
> I haven't tested any of this... just suggesting some ideas.
>
> > b)	antenna, yagi or patch,
> > c)	cable from bridge to antenna
> > d)	lightning protector
>
> Those would be extra, so if you go the 'cheap' route you'll need to assemble
> your own kit of those.

Do you have details on how we can build these? Is there a location where we can read
on such assembly?

> I guess you must be using something on the Aironet
> 350 already.

Yes, the root or base stations are already up, we just need affordable items to
extend the access to end users, many in rural cpmmunity settings, most of whom may
not be able to afford an aironet type of installation.

We would like to get specifics for implementation.

Regards,

Paulos