[afnog] Problem installing Freebsd sparc64 version

Alan Barrett apb at cequrux.com
Tue May 17 20:20:43 EAT 2005

On Tue, 17 May 2005, Phil Regnauld wrote:
> On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 02:19:29PM +0100, Frank Kuse Atimako wrote:
> > When installing FreeBSD 5.4 sparc version on my solaris i get the following
> > output and the installation discontinues.
> >
> > [Sample Output]
> > Booting [/boot/kernel/kernel] ....
> > nothing to autoload yet .
> > jumping to kernel entry at 0xc0040000
> >
> > Any guidelines concerning how to solve this problem is welcome.
>
> 	I think maybe the remain of the output is on the serial port ?

If so, then perhaps you can set a variable at the openfirmware level
to tell the kernel which device to use as the console?  I suspect that
Sun's "PROM User's Manual", part number 800-1736010 will contain some
clues, but all I know about that document is that it's mentioned in a
comment in the NetBSD source code.

NetBSD's src/sys/arch/sparc/include/eeprom.h also contains the following
tantalising information:

        u_char  eeConsole;              /* What to use for the console  */
#define EE_CONS_BW              0x00    /* - On-board B&W / keyboard    */
#define EE_CONS_TTYA            0x10    /* - serial port A              */
#define EE_CONS_TTYB            0x11    /* - serial port B              */
#define EE_CONS_COLOR           0x12    /* - Color FB / keyboard        */
#define EE_CONS_P4OPT           0x20    /* - Option board on P4         */

(I don't have a FreeBSD sparc source tree lying around, but I expect it
to be quite similar to NetBSD here, because this part of the code deals
with data that the firmware has stored in the eeprom.)

--apb (Alan Barrett)