[afnog] Problem installing Exim with mysql support!

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Wed May 11 14:17:35 EAT 2005

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 11:42:07AM +0100, Frank Kuse Atimako wrote:
> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libmysqlclient.so.14" not found,
> required by "exim"
>
> *** Could not run ./exim to find version number ***

Try this before compiling exim:

$ LD_RUN_PATH=/usr/local/lib/mysql     # or wherever your mysql libs are
$ export LD_RUN_PATH
$ ... continue with 'make' as before

That's so the Exim binary is built with the knowledge of where to find the
mysql libraries at run-time.

(Maybe it's /usr/local/mysql/lib not /usr/local/lib/mysql; just poke around
the filesystem or use 'locate' to find libmysqlclient.so.14)

Otherwise, you need to configure your library search path to know where to
search for the mysql libraries at run-time. How to do this depends on your
platform.

For FreeBSD: try putting this in /etc/rc.conf
ldconfig_paths="/usr/lib/compat /usr/X11R6/lib /usr/local/lib /usr/local/lib/mysql"

For Solaris: "man crle" explains it.

For Linux: perhaps /etc/ld.so.conf (long time since I used Linux)

HTH,