[afnog] Mikrotik Router Help

Mark Tinka mtinka at africaonline.co.sz
Mon Jun 27 18:29:55 EAT 2005

On Monday 27 June 2005 15:55, Wonder Chikohomero wrote:
> This is my current situation, actually we have been
> assigned private IP addresses from our ISP, at the
> campus I have a proxy server running on Microsoft, ISA
> 2004 it has private IP. It goes through other NAT'ing
> devices, then to the ISP router.
>
> We are trying to get our own VSAT connection with
> Geolink (www.geolink.com), after that I think we will
> negotiate public ip pool. KU band seems cheaper for
> us, I have some facts that it can be affected by bad
> weather. How would you recommend before we go for it??

Ku can be susceptible to extreme rainy conditions.
However, in some parts, like northern Africa, the
effects of bad weather on a Ku band service won't be as
severe as in the sub-Saharan region.

If you can manage to have a C-Band service, suggest you
go for it. Cost of (IP) service on this frequency band
comparable to Ku band service. Ku is mostly cheaper for
the service provider, but whether they pass that savings
on to you is another story.

Mark.