[afnog] VoIP

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Wed Jul 27 10:37:02 EAT 2005

    > Please look at the Visio or JPEG and advise accordingly!
    > How can I achieve ability to call PSTN, GSM and also international from the
    > IP network, i.e. A to be able to call B, C or D!

To summarize in ASCII (and please tell me if I've misunderstood):

You have a Cisco Skinny network (7900 phones running against a legacy Call
Manager back-end instead of a SIP back-end), with a Skinny-to-FXO gateway
interconnecting the Skinny network to an Ericsson PBX.  You have tried
both analog and ISDN FXO ports.

The Ericsson PBX has both analog and digital proprietary Ericsson
station sets on it, as well as some sort of dial-out to your GSM network,
and some sort of gateway to an international voice minutes wholesaler.

The entire Ericsson PBX-to-GSM and PBX-to-international part works fine,
and the Ericsson extensions can call each other, and the Skinny devices
can call each other.

What's not working is the FXO gateway between the Skinny network and
everything else.

We presume that if the Skinny phones were able to reach anything on the
Ericsson PBX, they'd be able to reach everything on the PBX, and the
problem would be solved.

So this may be stating the obvious, but that would lead me to look really
closely at the interface between the Ericsson PBX and the Skinny Call
Manager.  Am I interpreting your diagram correctly, that you've tried both
analog and ISDN BRI FXO interfaces on the 1760?  (Both Cisco part VIC-2FXO
or VIC2-2FXO and Cisco part VIC-2BRI-NT/TE or VIC2-2BRI-NT/TE.)

Have you tried an E&M (Ear & Mouth or Earth & Metal, the ill-defined
inter-PBX trunking "standard") interface between the 1760 and the
Ericsson?  The Ericsson line card will be a more expensive one than an
extension line card, or will have fewer ports, but it will be designed
expressly for this purpose.  Which isn't to say that it can be made to
work easily, E&M interfaces are notoriously difficult to configure
(different ways of passing caller-ID, different ways of sharing ground
between the devices, different pinouts, et cetera), but at least it's an
interface that Ericsson _knows_ is supposed to talk to another
non-Ericsson PBX device, and will give you support for that purpose,
however mediocre it may be.

Ideally, the handoff between the Ericsson and the Skinny gateway would be
digital (i.e. ISDN), so that there won't be any loss in voice quality, and
so that signalling like dialed-digits and caller-ID will be passed
cleanly, out-of-band of the voice portion of the call.  Is the interface
that you're plugging into on the Ericsson side actually specifically ISDN,
and if so, is it the correct "flavor" of ISDN, intended to talk to a
station device, and is the 1760 set to match the Ericsson's "switch type?"
(See
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5013/products_feature_guide09186a0080080de8.html#62113
for a list of the switch types and their corresponding configuration
keywords.)

Have you checked to make sure that the version of IOS you're running on
the 1760 fully supports the VIC?  Take a look at the table at
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk653/technologies_tech_note09186a0080111b16.shtml#ps
to be sure.

Have you turned on debugging on the Cisco when you've tried to pass calls
through it, and checked for any error messages?

A useful debugging tool in situations like this is to also have an FXS
card on the gateway, so you can plug in a simple desk-set for debugging
purposes.  That would allow you to verify call-completion in both
directions from the gateway, so you could be absolutely sure which side
the problem is on, and at least simplify it considerably.  It would be
unfortunate to put a lot of work into debugging the Ericsson connection,
only to find out that you had a simple configuration error between the
gateway and the Skinny Call Manager, for instance.

All of this is in answer to your short-term question, which is, I presume,
what you're looking for.  In the long term, you probably want to download
a SIP standards-based software load into the 7900 phones, get rid of the
Call Manager and the gateway, and have everything talk to everything via
SIP, as God and the IETF intended.  That would get rid of the long chain
of devices which you're currently stymied by trying to pass calls through,
and make everything much simpler and more reliable.  Which is what you
want, as a service provider.

Good luck.  I hope something above proves helpful.

                                -Bill