[afnog] Relay denied

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Fri Jul 15 10:06:22 EAT 2005

On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 08:40:36PM +0100, Colin Johnston wrote:
> Sendmail config is simple to understand if you trace through rules.
> http://www.sendmail.org/ for info on how to configure

I have an old copy of the Bat Book, and I have done sendmail.m4 config in
the past. It's unnecessarily horrible, and if you've lost your original .mc
file for some reason, you end up either tweaking sendmail.cf (hundreds of
lines of Snoopy swearing), or having to reconfigure your mail server from
scratch with a fresh .mc.

> I have run large scale stable sendmail configs and 24hr uptime colo configs
> fine with sendmail. Also used exim systems are they are harder to understand
> if concepts are not understood from sendmail.

Your opinion. The default exim configuration does the same as a default
sendmail configuration. The sequence of 'routers' shows, step by step,
Exim's decision-making process for handling the mail. Exim's -bt testing
mode shows you the same decision-making process as it happens.

The config is not obscured by hundreds of lines of address rewriting where
foo at bar.com is rewritten as baz < foo @ bar . com > just to keep track of
state within the state machine.

> I for one would be happy doing a sendmail system since it allows you to
> understand how the protocol works. The check rcpt rules are there for a
> reason.

Exim has ACLs. They have a very straightforward but powerful set of rules.