[afnog] MikroTik Router Wireless

John Gitau JGitau at Safaricom.co.ke
Tue Jul 12 08:58:29 EAT 2005

Emmanuel,
I think you need to tell us a little bit more about the wireless side of
the connection. For instance, the fact that your pc is not 'seeing' the
wireless connection at all might mean that its not even enabled, or
configured for the right frequency. After you 'see' the card, basic
routing, NAT or Masquerading should sort you out.

Another thing you need to let us know is whether you want the mikrotik
hotspot setup or to route the wireless clients directly, like you're
doing for clients on the LAN interface, I'd suggest you go with the
hotspot option, it gives you more control, Plus it has a wizard to help
you setup, I think its accessible under the /ip hotspot setup I cant
remember very well, please look through the menu for that.

The config. below should activate the two wireless cards (2.4GHz) and
assign IP's to them, you'll probably have to NAT the private range of
IP's and  route the public IP's. There's also a tool called winbox
accessible through a browser pointing to any of the IP's on the mikrotik
eg http://10.1.254.27. That should make your work much easier.
for mikrotik dudu's. I suggest you go through their archives, and
probably join the list as well.

interface wireless set wlan1 band=2.4GHz-B mode=ap-bridge ssid=Emmanuel
disabled=no
interface wireless set wlan1 band=2.4GHz-B mode=ap-bridge ssid=Emmanuel2
disabled=no
ip address add address=80.87.65.249/29 interface=wlan1
ip address add address=192.168.1.1/24 interface=wlan2
ip address add address=10.1.254.27/24 interface=ether1

Have a good day.

**Gitau
Safaricom "The better Option"
***
"If the entire earth, land and water, were covered with computers,
IPv6 would allow 7x10^23 IP addresses per square meter.  [...]  While it
was not the intention to give every molecule on the surface of the earth
its own IP address, we are not that far off."
        -- Tannenbaum, _Computer_Networks_, 3rd Edition
*****