[afnog] mx records

asseym at smartvisions.net asseym at smartvisions.net
Mon Jul 11 21:20:28 EAT 2005

Hello,

below is a lengthy subscription of my problem, i hope some body will help
me here.

1. I host a domain for a client, name, web, mail

2. Recently the client decided to have their own mail server at their
premises, so they installed one.

3. The client then gave me only the public ip address of their mail host
asking that i may point their mail to their server.

4. I realized that i can't create an mx record pointing their mail to
their server with only the ip address that they gave me. Hence i need a
name of the host eg mail.domain.com (unless of course iam imagining
things)

5. I decided to create a subdomain of their domain ie mail.royalsuites.co.ug.

6. I was hoping that i would point this new subdomain to the ip address
the client gave me, then use mail.royalsuites.co.ug to create the much
needed mx record.

My question is, will this strategy work or is their a simpler way of doing
things??

Thanks,
--assey.