[afnog] RFI: ISOC-ZA Internet connectivity and transit needed for rural Fiestas

Alan Levin alan at futureperfect.co.za
Fri Jul 1 15:37:25 EAT 2005

Hi all,

Following the experience of the Internet Fiesta in Belhar (more info at
http://isoc.org.za/outreach), ISOC-ZA are planning to assist 50 other
poor communities to host an Internet Fiesta. The plan is currently to
hold at least 1 per month in a varying range of locations.

We hope to be able to use locations that will not even have a telephone
line installed. As such we are investigating the costs of a VSAT
option.

A. Event transit requirement:
We hope to procure 2Mbps incoming and min 256Kbps outgoing internet
access. The service will be required for one or two weekends each month
with a test day on the preceding Friday.

B. Equipment purchase:
The equipment required to obtain access to the Internet transit, must
be transportable in or on a van or trailer. Must be very simple to
setup. Ideally a roof rack mounted device with automatic satellite
tracking. We will require all the equipment needed to supply an
ethernet connection.

This is a request for information and pricing, to all companies that
may be able to provide or assist us to procure A and/or B.

Please could you send Saul Stein <saul at isoc.org.za> or myself an email
with any pricing and specifications for the above.

Thanks and regards,

Alan