[AfNOG] Ku-band that is good for west African - Nigeria

William Stucke William at zanet.co.za
Fri Jan 21 10:41:39 EAT 2005

Hi Paul,

I'd suggest that you follow Sunday & Brian's advice - pay someone to make
the decisions for you. VSAT isn't a simple subject, and deciding which band,
which satellite, which satellite provider and what size dish are all
inter-related issues. There isn't one right answer, but there are many wrong
answers!

The information you need to provide to your consultant includes: -

1    Your exact location
2    How much bandwidth you require, both upload and download
3    What QoS (Quality of Service) you need. Simply put, "better", more
reliable services cost more. Is a reliable service more important to you, or
is a cheaper service more important?
4    What is your budget for capital expenditure, and as an ongoing cost.

Your consultant will then be able to advise you on: -

a    Whether to use C or Ku Band
b    Which satellite to use
c    What bandwidth capacity to install
d    What size dish to install
e    What additional equipment you will require.
f    A suitable local contractor to carry out the supply and installation of
the equipment.

You will need to pay the consultant for his time, answer all his questions,
and listen to his advice ;-)

Kind regards,

William Stucke
ZAnet Internet Services (Pty) Ltd